the well of providence is deep ... it is the buckets we bring to it that are small ... Mary Webb



Thursday, March 4, 2010

first steps and breaking rules

I've already broken the rules.  I have written the first sentence of my novel without outlining as The Snowflake Method recommends. 

Isn't that just how it goes.  The moment you commit to something solid - a method, a path, a choice - another part of you counters, tests, questions, and sometimes overrides your best laid plan.

It is a good first sentence.  It will grab the reader's attention, and it sets the tone for what I imagine the rest of my novel will say.  I woke up with the seed of it.  I washed dishes thinking about it.  I swept and mopped floors too.  Finally, I sat with the blank page until it came.

The first sentence of my novel.  It only took me about an hour to write it.

I am smiling and unashamed of my contrariness.

But I am not throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  I am still going to work on The Snowflake Method. 

Step One.  Take an hour and write a one-sentence summary of your novel.

No comments: